Successful handover of the 6-year Local Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Plan in the Municipality of Consolacion, Cebu, Philippines
In May 2017, GIDRM, through its Senior DRM Specialist, Antonio Balang, supported a four-day planning and budgeting workshop of the Municipality of Consolacion, Cebu, Philippines, to discuss the new 6-year Comprehensive Local Climate Change Action Plan (LCCAP) – Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Plan (LDRRM) Plan for the Municipality. The planning workshop was attended by the mayor and the vice mayor of the municipality, the respective department heads and selected barangay officials and sectoral representatives of 21 barangays.
In order to develop the LCCAP-LDRRM Plan, results from the suitability modeling process that has been carried out in Cebu under the GIDRM have been used to decide what type of investments will be taken to increase the climate and disaster resilience of the Municipality of Consolacion. The finalized plan has been handed over to members of the Municipal Council who expressed their gratitude to GIDRM. The formulation of the LCCAP-LDRRM Plan is part of the requirements by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Office of Civil Defense (OCD) and Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) for the approval and release of its annual budget from 2018 onwards which includes the 5% Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Fund (LDRRMF).
In order to implement the 6-year plan, the Municipality of Consolacion requires a total budget of approx. 2.700.000 Euro that will be covered to 65% from the Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Fund. In order to cover the remaining 35%, the GIDRM supported the local government in preparing a proposal for the People’s Survival Fund (PSF) of the National Government through the Climate Change Commission.